People 18-64 years who are not eligible for low-level support via the NDIS can apply for ‘SASH’ support packages through NSW Health’s ComPacks program.
Safe And Supported at Home packages, called SASH for short, support people with functional impairments to live independently and safely at home. People with mental health issues, chronic or degenerative illness or other disabilities that impair function and affect daily life can be eligible for SASH packages when they are not eligible for the NDIS.
Clients need to be referred by their own allied health professional, an outpatient community health professional working within the Northern Sydney Local Health District or their GP. Referrals are most often from allied health professionals such as physios, occupational therapists or social workers.
SASH packages are available for up to six weeks at a time and then renewed. Once the referral is accepted, a case manager will review each client’s needs and goals and coordinate and monitor services to meet them. Repeat packages are available for those who need it.
Eligible people are:
– aged between 18 and 64
– have functional impairment which affects daily life
– have applied but were not eligible through NDIS
– have no or limited informal supports
Clients can access services, including:
– domestic assistance eg with cleaning, shopping and washing
– help with meal preparation
– personal care – bathing, grooming and dressing
– transport for medical appointments
– in-home respite for carers
Cost: SASH is subsidised by the NSW Government so clients will be asked to make a small contribution of $10 per week; inability to pay will not exclude anyone from the program.
Getting referred for a SASH package: Talk to your allied health professional such as an occupational therapist, physiotherapist or social worker – or get a referral to an allied health professional from your GP.
- To find out more, call the SASH program manager, Sarah Hobson, 9887 5705
- or email NSLHD-CompacksSASH@health.nsw.gov.au
- For home modifications through SASH, see http://www.enable.health.nsw.gov.au/services/home-modifications-sash or call 1800 362 253 (ask for SASH Home Modifications Advisor).