Sydney Community Services is a local not-for-profit organisation that helps seniors, people with a disability and their carers live independently in their own home and in their community.
Update: A message from the Minister for Aged Care, the Hon Anika Wells MP and Chief Medical Officer, Professor Paul Kelly about safe COVID-19 behaviours, in particular, accessing antiviral treatments and ensuring vaccinations are up to date. Read more.
We’re happy to declare we are ‘COVID-safe’ – approved by NSW Government as meeting rigorous standards in training, and new daily procedures and precautions (see details here).
When COVID-19 first arrived, we pared back to essential services needed to keep people well, informed and connected. We continued in-home nursing and podiatry, home-delivered meals and general support for very isolated people without nearby family or neighbourly support.
If you are still isolated in this way and feeling vulnerable, please phone us on 9427 6425 and we’ll do our best to support you.
Our marvellous volunteers have continued to keep up fresh linen deliveries, cleaning, online shopping and other individual support services. Our gardening and home modifications and maintenance teams are busy too.
Having passed the COVID-safe tests all our services and most activities have resumed. Based at our Hunters Hill Community Hub, some support activities for cultural groups, people with a disability and seniors are sometimes run as hybrid events as required.
We want to reassure our consumers and the community that we continue to be vigilant against COVID-19 infection spread with strict practices in place.
To minimise the risk of exposure to COVID-19, SCS staff are required:
• To wear a well-fitting N95 face mask when working with consumers
• Obtain a COVID-19 test every 72 hours for full time staff or before work for part time and casual staff.
• SCS staff will continue to isolate from work for 7 days following their exposure or positive COVID-19 test.
• Public Heath Orders requiring aged care and disability workers to be vaccinated remain in force. All our eligible staff are fully vaccinated.
• Staff are encouraged to be attentive to good COVID-19 management practices when choosing the activity place, they practice good hand hygiene, sanitation and natural ventilation.
• We encourage all consumers to wear a face mask whenever possible while indoors.